Monday, April 28, 2008

Ann Moser, Carlisle, PA

Due to an undetected clotting disorder and an autoimmune disease, I suffered a stroke at the age of 48. A year later I also had a tia.

After 7 years I appear to be free of symptoms, but appearances can be deceiving, and frustrating. Memory deficits, difficulties with multi-tasking, and follow-through, as well as treatment resistant depression, have left me unable to continue with my profession as a nursing home social worker. Yet, I feel lucky to be alive and recently celebrated my oldest daughter's wedding.

I recently started volunteering with the Capitol Region AHA in PA and raised close to $3500 in my first Heart/Stroke walk in October, 2007 with the assistance of my team "Annie's Striker's Against Stroke". I also had the privilege of serving on the committee of the Heart/Stoke Ball in February, and lobbying PA legislators in March.

I will continue to lobby for increased funding for the Prevention and Cure of stroke and heart related diseases. My hope is that future generations can lead long, productive lives without the prospect of an early "retirement" due to a disability similar to mine.

No comments: