On the heels of yesterday’s Senate passage, this vote clears the way for the bill to go on to President Obama for his signature. Though no date has been set for that signing, the President has indicated his support and that he will indeed sign the bill. Speaker Pelosi suggested on the floor today that it could occur next week.
This is a monumental victory for public health advocates!
The bill will:
- restrict the flood of advertising aimed at enticing our children into a lifetime of tobacco addiction
- require the tobacco companies to disclose the ingredients in their products
- require stronger and more prominent warnings about the health risks of smoking
- help reduce the number of deaths from heart disease and stroke caused by tobacco use!
- finally put tobacco products under the same scrutiny as mac n' cheese, make-up, dog food, and nearly every other consumer product on the market!
You can send an email to thank supportive lawmakers at http://www.heartprescription.org/!